Recipe: Blueberry Banana Bread

I have tried many banana bread recipes in my time, either baking them myself or eating banana bread made by others, and I have NEVER had banana bread that is as delicious as this one.  This bread is dense without being heavy, has a nice tender crumb, and the best flavor!  I put sugar on top before baking it, and it crystalizes in the oven and gives the most delicious crunchiness to the top.  I love using completely brown bananas that way they're sweeter.  If I have bananas that are getting really brown, I just pop them in the freezer and save them till I have time to use them (which husband wishes was everyday).


Here's the yumminess:

Start by creaming the butter and sugar together in the bowl of your mixer.  If you don't have a mixer, just use a bowl and wooden spoon.  
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg, set aside.  
Once the butter and sugar are fluffy, add the eggs one at a time beating until combined.  Pour in the vanilla extract.
Scrape down the side of the bowl and add the bananas and sour cream and mix to thoroughly combine.  

 Add the blueberries to the flour mixture and whisk lightly until they're all coated with the flour.  
Skip this step if you don't like blueberries.

Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir the two together until just combined, do not overmix.  
Spray your pans with vegetable spray (I love Pam) and evenly pour the batter into the pans.  
Sprinkle the tops of the batter with raw sugar, regular sugar, or cinnamon sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.

I don't eat it with that much butter

mmm...yummy blueberries

This bread slices beautifully and freezes well, not that I'm ever able to freeze it because Matt can eat a loaf (literally) in less than a day.  I like to slice it in nice thick slices and wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in his lunch, or take it in the car.  Go make this right now, you will thank me!!


Ingredients

makes three 7" loaves

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3 cups unbleached flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat to incorporate.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in the blueberries into the flour mixture. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.

    Click the button at the bottom of this post to get the printable version
    I'm linking up with:

Comments

  1. I'm so glad I follow your blog because I get so many amazing recipes from it! Lol Our son was born just over a week ago, and I wish I had made this recipe before he came so I could have had it waiting for us in the freezer this week! I will have to make it during nap time today! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love banana bread! I even loving making it as well... It is so delish :) I have never made it with a twist however this makes me wanna make it with a twist...have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look absolutely delicious! =) We loved your recipe so much, we've featured you on our {{What I Made Wednesday} highlights! Stop by and grab a button. Happy Wednesday!

    Briana
    sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts